Thursday 30 April 2009

Life

Ran across the poem that we painstakingly memorized when I was in high school
Life's brief candle

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

To many of you, maybe this brings back bad memories. Stupid teacher asking us to memorize the whole freaking thing, when we all know that it's not going to be useful in future.

But now, when I look back, it actually makes sense now. Maybe it's the few more years of life that makes me see through the meaning of this poem.
Sad, unwanted, insignificant, that may be the only way we can describe our life.
When we go when the time is right, who else will remember, except for those who knows us? It's like an actor who is only remembered by his performance.

My explanation of this poem may be different from the original meaning, but I personally think that a person's life will only be remembered if he does something significant that will shake the world. People in the past had done this constantly: landing on the moon, finding new land, exploring the artics, inventing stuffs. These people are only remembered due to the stuffs they do, as an actor with his performance. This is definitely not wat shakespeare had in mind when he wrote the poem above, but who says I can't have a different opinion?

So here's my resolution, I'm going to do something big that will let me be remembered, or tried to anyway. If I must be a stepstool to someone bigger, I wouldn't mind. Personally, I would love to be one of the people who actually manage to achieve artificial intelligence. that's one of my biggest dream: to see something artificial that can communicate with us. Not those "ERICA" thing, but something that is near human intelligence.

Boy, I know I rambled off topic a little today. but who the f**k cares?

Until next time.

1 comment:

howe said...

both u n hui2 really have great ambitions eh...
wanting to carve ur own mark deep in the ground...

for me, i think i would be glad enough if the people who knows me remembers me..
it's ok if i'm not in history...haha

anyway, who knows?
i might invent some sort of super cure one day..lol